Wednesday 15 September 2010

Illegal Kabonosy?

Two posts on one day is a bit too much, but I haven't sat at the computer for a few days.

I did an earlier post about the attempt by Poland to get Kabanosy as a regional Polish product, from which it would be illegal, at least in Europe, to use the word Kabanosy as anything other than the traditionally produced, dried, thin pork sausage. I claimed then that most Polish Kabanosy failed to meet this condition and that Polish Wikipedia had been edited to hide the truth. The last time I went to the supermarket - Tesco in Pruszków (roughly Proosh-koov) - I checked to see if Polish Kabanosy had changed, but I hadn't noticed.

From 2010 09

Salmon Kabanosy above and Fowl Kabanosy - actually chicken - below.


Game Kabanosy - I think from boar meat:


Slightly dried Kabanosy are shown on the label below. The producers seem to have no idea that Kabanosy should be made from pork, so you only find out it is made from chicken by reading the ingredients. They are equally unaware that Kabanosy need to be dry, not slightly dry.


There are pork Kabanosy, of course and I bought chilli flavoured ones from Lidl. Although sold under Lidl's own brand, Pikok, they are made by Madej&Wróbel and may be the same as those shown on their website as luxury dried kabanos. They are one of the better kabanosy for my tastes, but chilli is not a traditional Polish ingredient, so will these be illegal as well?

Whilst for some strange reason, the English language version of the website (but not Polish, Russian or German) has Grandma's Kabanos, which don't even look like Kabanosy:

I hope Polish producers will be given enough time - I think feta taste alike products had two years - and enough notice that they will have to change all the names of these products. However, its strange how much an attempt to support Polish producers is going to negatively, if not primarily, affect Polish producers.

I must be misunderstanding something, surely?

No comments: